Vegetarian Spring Rolls
Please click here to read our Disclosure statement
Ingredients for Spring Rolls
- ¾ cup broken rice vermicelli noodles
- 6 fresh shitake mushrooms
- ½ cup carrots, slivered
- 1 cup bok choy, thinly sliced
- 1 cup green onion, slivered
- 2 tbsp. Chopped coriander
- salt and ground pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp. Soy sauce
- ½ tsp. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh ginger
- Eight 8 inch square spring roll skins
- 3 tbsp. All-purpose flour
- ¼ cup water
- 4 cups vegetable oil
Ingredients for Salad
- 1 cup daikon radish, slivered
- 1 cup carrots, slivered
- 4 green onions, slivered
- ½ cup red onion, slivered
- 1 cup slivered cucumber, juice squeezed out
Ingredients for Dressing
- 2 tbsp. Seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp. Soy sauce
- ½ tsp. sesame oil
- Place noodles and mushrooms into individual bowls and cover with hot water.
- Cover bowls and set aside for 20 minutes.
- Once noodles and mushrooms have soaked transfer to colander and drain.
- Transfer into a large bowl.
- Drain mushrooms as well and transfer onto a cutting board.
- Remove and discard stems and slice mushroom heads thinly.
- Add into a large bowl with noodles.
- Add carrots, bok choy, green onion and coriander onto the bowl of noodles and mushrooms and mix together. Sprinkle in salt, pepper, and toss mixture to combine.
- Cover and set aside.
- Pour soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil and fresh ginger into a small bowl. Stir mixture to combine well.
- Cover and set aside.
- Gently pull spring roll skins apart and place on a flat, clean surface.
- Using a small spoon place, ¼ cup of the noodle and vegetable mixture onto the upper third of each skin.
- Roll once and then take the two ends and fold them in and continue to roll the skins forward until it forms a cylinder.
- Whisk together flour and water in a bowl until well combined.
- Using a small pastry brush, coat spring roll with just enough flour and water mixture to seal the edges.
- Repeat with all rolls.
- In a wok, heat some of the vegetable oil over medium-high heat.
- Once the wok and oil are hot add spring rolls in 3 at a time.
- Fry until golden brown.
- Transfer onto a rack with paper towel to drain.
To make the salad,
- place the radish, carrot, green and red onions and cucumber in bowl and toss together.
- In a separate bowl pour in vinegar, soy sauce, and sesame oil.
- Whisk together until mixed.
- Once spring rolls are drained, place onto a cutting board and slice each in half at an angle serve 3 halves onto the plates standing with cut ends up.
- Garnish with salad around rolls.