Vegetarian Spring Rolls
Disclosure: We may receive compensation if you click on or purchase products from some of the links on this page. However this does not take away from the benefits of the content of the article which does not promote any specific commercial product. Click here for full details
Ingredients for Spring Rolls
- ¾ cup broken rice vermicelli noodles
- 6 fresh shitake mushrooms
- ½ cup carrots, slivered
- 1 cup bok choy, thinly sliced
- 1 cup green onion, slivered
- 2 tbsp. Chopped coriander
- salt and ground pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp. Soy sauce
- ½ tsp. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh ginger
- Eight 8 inch square spring roll skins
- 3 tbsp. All-purpose flour
- ¼ cup water
- 4 cups vegetable oil
Ingredients for Salad
- 1 cup daikon radish, slivered
- 1 cup carrots, slivered
- 4 green onions, slivered
- ½ cup red onion, slivered
- 1 cup slivered cucumber, juice squeezed out
Ingredients for Dressing
- 2 tbsp. Seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp. Soy sauce
- ½ tsp. sesame oil
- Place noodles and mushrooms into individual bowls and cover with hot water.
- Cover bowls and set aside for 20 minutes.
- Once noodles and mushrooms have soaked transfer to colander and drain.
- Transfer into a large bowl.
- Drain mushrooms as well and transfer onto a cutting board.
- Remove and discard stems and slice mushroom heads thinly.
- Add into a large bowl with noodles.
- Add carrots, bok choy, green onion and coriander onto the bowl of noodles and mushrooms and mix together. Sprinkle in salt, pepper, and toss mixture to combine.
- Cover and set aside.
- Pour soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil and fresh ginger into a small bowl. Stir mixture to combine well.
- Cover and set aside.
- Gently pull spring roll skins apart and place on a flat, clean surface.
- Using a small spoon place, ¼ cup of the noodle and vegetable mixture onto the upper third of each skin.
- Roll once and then take the two ends and fold them in and continue to roll the skins forward until it forms a cylinder.
- Whisk together flour and water in a bowl until well combined.
- Using a small pastry brush, coat spring roll with just enough flour and water mixture to seal the edges.
- Repeat with all rolls.
- In a wok, heat some of the vegetable oil over medium-high heat.
- Once the wok and oil are hot add spring rolls in 3 at a time.
- Fry until golden brown.
- Transfer onto a rack with paper towel to drain.
To make the salad,
- place the radish, carrot, green and red onions and cucumber in bowl and toss together.
- In a separate bowl pour in vinegar, soy sauce, and sesame oil.
- Whisk together until mixed.
- Once spring rolls are drained, place onto a cutting board and slice each in half at an angle serve 3 halves onto the plates standing with cut ends up.
- Garnish with salad around rolls.