Please click here to read our Disclosure statement
- ¼ tsp. olive oil
- ½ small onion, peeled and chopped and diced
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- ¼ tsp. dried oregano
- ¼ tsp. dried basil
- ¼ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 bay life
- ½ cup canned whole peeled tomatoes, roughly chopped
- ½ cup tomato paste
- 2 whole wheat pita breads
- ½ yellow bell pepper, seeds and membranes removed, cut into thin strips
- 1/8 cup baby spinach leaves, chopped into fine pieces
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- Fresh basil, thinly sliced for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Over medium heat, heat oil in skillet.
- Add onion and garlic, stirring occasionally so that they don’t burn.
- Cook for about 4 minutes until both are brown in color.
- Sprinkle oregano, basil, red pepper flakes and bay leaf. Mix spices together.
- Stir in peeled tomatoes and tomato paste, increase to high heat.
- Once boiling, bring heat down to medium-low and allow mixture to simmer until sauce is thick.
- Arrange pizzas on baking sheets.
- Divide sauce between pitas, leaving a crust border.
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top.
- Bake in oven for 20-25 minutes.