Disclosure: We may receive compensation if you click on or purchase products from some of the links on this page. However this does not take away from the benefits of the content of the article which does not promote any specific commercial product. Click here for full details
- ¼ tsp. olive oil
- ½ small onion, peeled and chopped and diced
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- ¼ tsp. dried oregano
- ¼ tsp. dried basil
- ¼ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 bay life
- ½ cup canned whole peeled tomatoes, roughly chopped
- ½ cup tomato paste
- 2 whole wheat pita breads
- ½ yellow bell pepper, seeds and membranes removed, cut into thin strips
- 1/8 cup baby spinach leaves, chopped into fine pieces
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- Fresh basil, thinly sliced for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Over medium heat, heat oil in skillet.
- Add onion and garlic, stirring occasionally so that they don’t burn.
- Cook for about 4 minutes until both are brown in color.
- Sprinkle oregano, basil, red pepper flakes and bay leaf. Mix spices together.
- Stir in peeled tomatoes and tomato paste, increase to high heat.
- Once boiling, bring heat down to medium-low and allow mixture to simmer until sauce is thick.
- Arrange pizzas on baking sheets.
- Divide sauce between pitas, leaving a crust border.
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top.
- Bake in oven for 20-25 minutes.